Sunday, September 13, 2009

Andrew's new toy = Daddy's BIG project

Ok...so when we bought our house there was an old metal monkey bar/swing set in the back yard. When I say old I really mean old...I had one just like it when I was little. In fact I don't think you can find that kind anymore. Anyways, Andrew loved to play on it, but New York winters had taken their toll on the metal. Two of the support poles were in fact rusted through to the point I would no longer let him swing anymore because I was afriad that much weight on one side might make the entire thing fall. I did still let him play on the monkey bars simply because they were centered and there was no weight to one side or the other (I know I'm probably a bad mom for that). Adam and I have been talking for a LONG time about wating to get him a new swing set, but couldn't find one we liked that we could afford. Those things are so stinking expensive!! Well the other day we were in Sams and saw that they had a play set there in the store. We got to looking at it and couldn't believe how much stuff came on it. I mean seriously this thing has EVERYTHING. Naturally we assumed it would be insanely expensive but when we checked the price we were surprised. Considering everything this set has the price was rather reasonable. Of course it was a little more than we were really wanting to spend, but because Adam is a softy he wanted to go ahead and get it for Andrew. When he made this decision I don't think he knew what he was getting himself into. This was a massive project! It took us almost 2hrs just to unload all 4 boxes and sort the pieces. Adam ended up spending Thursday and Friday from 8am until dark putting this thing together. I will say it was totally worth it to see Andrew's face when it was all done. He was sooooo excited about his new "playground". I'm excited too because now he has something to keep him busy in the yard. Now maybe he'll stay out of trouble....maybe. Here are pictures showing some of the progress as it was put together. I have an amazing husband and my kiddos have a great father. He did it all pretty much by himself.

some of the lumber required

the rest of the lumber

the screws needed

and the bolts
putting the base together
working on the second level

putting the roof on

working on the overlook...with a little help from Andrew

the finished product from the front

the back view

the side view

Andrew checking out his new telescope on his overlook

2 comments:

Mike & Leanne said...

That swing set is HUGE!!!! It had SO MANY pieces. Glad Adam is so good at that kind of thing. Andrew, I know is thrilled at having such a great swing set. Looks like a ton of fun. Hope ya'll are all doing great. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

That thing is AWESOME!!!! We'll need a new play set when we move next summer; I hope we can find something like that. And it's reasonable. :)