Monday, August 11, 2008

San Antonio, spiders & a trip to the ER

Soooooo....here is out latest drama from the weekend. Adam has been down in San Antonio, TX since July 13 for BNCOC (Basic Non-Commissioned Officers Course). Things have been going fairly well for him despite the unbearable heat (he hates hot weather). Friday night he calls me, a little later than normal, and informs me that he was just released from BAMC (Brooks Army Medical Center). Apparently that morning he woke up and found 2 spider bites on him. One was on his right arm and the other on his neck just below his ear. Oh course being Adam he just ignores it and heads to class. Well by late afternoon when class was released the spot on his arm was red, swollen and burned when you touched it. So he FINALLY decided to go get it checked out. Turns out it looks like a Brown Recluse spider bite. They treated him with antibiotics, steroids and what not & discharged him back to his barracks. So far everything is fine, no big deal, just take the meds & enjoy the weekend. ha ha....if only.....
Now Saturday morning I was having a yard sale with a friend of mine on post. Adam was supposed to call me when he woke up that morning to let me know how he was doing. Well time passed and no call. When I called him there was no answer and I was a little curious as to what he was doing. Finally I decided to call his best friend who happens to live in San Antonio to see if he had heard from Adam. Last he knew about anything Adam was headed to some river with guys from the school he's in. Well isn't that just great. I will be honest and admit I was VERY irritated at this point. It's soooo typically Adam to head off to the river and forget to call me and of course not answer his phone while he's gone. As the day went on into evening I got even more irritated. About 7:30pm or so he finally called me and yes I had quite a bit of attitude when I answered. Turns out Adam woke up at 3am that morning and couldn't breathe. He was having an allergic reaction and took him self back to BAMC. They are assuming the reaction was to the antibiotics Adam was taking so they changed those out, gave him lots of steroids and what not and then discovered something interesting. The bite on Adam's neck (the one the Dr didn't think anything of the day before) had swollen up to the size of a golf ball. I'll spare you all of the gory details but when Adam called me at 7:30 he had just been released from the medical center. I didn't get a call because he managed to leave his phone in the truck. So now that all of the meds have been changed and he's doing better Adam was headed back to his room to get some much needed sleep.
Fast forward to Sunday morning. Adam rolls out of bed around noon and heads up to BAMC to have everything checked out and repacked. This wasn't a surprise trip he was told to come up there. Once there they find another spider bite on the other side of his neck. This one doesn't look bad at all so they just tell him to keep an eye on it. Then Adam notices what looks like another bite on his knee. The Dr looks at it and decided that it is not a bite but the beginnings of a staff infection!! I mean seriously what else could go wrong this weekend?? The infection appears small and the antibiotics he is currently taking should take care of that, it's just one more thing for him to keep an eye on. So he packs up and heads back to his room and manages to sleep literally all day. I spoke with him once again around 8pm and he was going to get something to eat and then back to sleep.
This story does have a good ending though. I just talked to him a few minutes ago and he is doing great today. Feels as if nothing happened so hopefully the worst is over and he will be fine. Other than all of that drama there isn't much else going on with Andrew and myself. We're just hanging around waiting for school to start and Adam to come home. Fortunately it shouldn't be too much longer for either. I'll try and get my camera out and take some new pictures in the next few days so I have something to post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he needs your dad to go and spray where he's living for spiders! I'm glad he's doing better!

Jeff, Sarah, Lydia & Jack Henry said...

WoW! Sounds like he had a rough weekend. I am so glad that he is doing better! Hopefully he won't have any more spiders bother him while he is there! Love you!